Wednesday, February 10, 2010

2/8/10

Me, Carol (my roommate), and some girls she knows from the hospital went to the movies yesterday to see "vivir al limite" an American movie that I have never heard of, (in English it’s “Against the Locker”). It was about the war in Iraq and was very good- the theater was packed. Afterwards we went to this fair that had hundreds of little artisan stands/tents with each vendor selling homemade crafts- everything you can think of: clothes, leather, jewelry, soaps, mate cups. This festival happens every weekend and it was so crowded with people that we could hardly walk. There were even kids walking around with baskets of kittens trying to sell them. I loved it! We walked around for a few hours and then went back to the apartment for dinner around 10pm, the normal time. Blanca had her daughter's family over, the same one that had the birthday party. We ate dinner and the 3 kids watched Rataouille, the rat chef movie. All of the kids follow me around lol, especially Lazaro, who was the birthday boy-2 years old. The fact that the kids speak Spanish makes them cuter! Today I'm going to buy a cell phone at the patio olmos centro comercial. I had 2 placement tests today- writing and oral exams. The professors here are so nice and smile all of the time. I took a taxi both ways to school, it costs about 7 pesos one way, about $1.80. Once I figure out directions I’m going to walk to class like most students do.

2/10/10

I tested into the advanced class, which means that I am in a group with about half of the American students now. The professora spends half of the class laughing and is very sweet!

I did run into one problem though with the water here. It doesn’t seem as clean and as a result about 5 of the Americans in the group, including me, got sick. I’m alright now but have only been drinking things I buy from the kioskos on our street.

Yesterday Carole and I walked to the pedestrian outdoor shopping mall, which is a beautiful place. For anyone who is familiar with Grove City outlets, this place is similar but with extremely small stores and more foliage. I have had the hardest time finding hangers/perchas here, but finally did at one of the tiendas. After shopping we came back and ate dinner with our new compañera/roommate Rose from Amsterdam. She is here to work with autistic children doing horse therapy on a ranch outside of Córdoba.

Every day this month class runs from 9:30-11:30, a lunch break for one hour, then class from 12:30-14:30. Today some of us went to the Cantina, a café on campus, for lunch and got kicked out because we brought our own food from home and weren’t paying customers. We were a little pissed lol. Tonight it’s off to the movies again. Wednesday’s are only 10 pesos so we’re going to see The Princess and the Frog, (sorry Brett!!! not my first choice, but maybe it will be better because it’s in spanish) After that I am going with the Programs Abroad group that both of my roommates are part of to go to tango lessons!!! I’m so excited to learn!


No comments:

Post a Comment